Among the worries of moving, stress, anxiety, and daily tasks, the importance of food care in the home is frequently forgotten. Since, in general, they are not part of the priorities due to the constant use that is given to them. However, on many occasions, just before the removal, the refrigerator is full of food and, as a consequence, we do not know what to do to avoid massive food damage in the household.
It is important to know which are the most common strategies used to preserve food during a move from one place to another, especially when the distance from the old home to the new one is long. Food, like any other goods, is essential, so you must find a way to protect it and make it last for a certain period of time.
How can food be preserved during a move?
If lettuce, a sandwich or any other vegetable can be easily damaged in a short period of time, what would happen to fresh meats, fruits and vegetables during a move? This is one of those latent concerns that people who are moving long distances have. Therefore, it is essential to find a solution to prevent foodstuffs from suffering any kind of damage.
First of all, you should think about how indispensable it is to have large amounts of food in the fridge or the kitchen. This could be very counterproductive. Therefore:
- It is advisable to stop unnecessary purchases at the supermarket. Since, additional money will be spent and the food will be prone to damage due to the quantities.
- The closer you get to moving day, the less products there should be in the fridge and pantry. This is a simple way to not waste any products.
- In the last few days, it is best to avoid buying meat, chicken, fish or any other food that requires refrigerator maintenance. Unfavorable events may occur during the transfer in relation to the subject.
What to do with food during the move?
First of all, the recommendations described above should be applied. Since, with less food, preserving it will be much easier, in order to do so, you will need:
- Ziploc bags
- Airtight containers.
- Glass containers.
- Bubble paper.
- In case of meats, making salt and spices meat cures.
The goal is to keep the food as fresh as possible so that there are no inconveniences or unpleasant odors during the move, especially if the distances involved are quite long. In addition, moving companies have the appropriate materials to prevent this type of damage to the food.
Now, what to do after the move?
Just as it is important to take care before the move, it is also important to take care after the move. Therefore, the first thing to do is:
- Sort the items separately. That is to say, raw meats and cooked meats in different places, as well as vegetables.
- It is possible that some fruits, vegetables or greens may be damaged. It should be immediately separated from the others to avoid any damage.
- The first thing that must be installed when arriving at the new home, it’s obviously the refrigerator, since it must be remembered that food is kept at a certain temperature that must be met if you don’t want to lose any type of food.
- Clean efficiently every product in the kitchen.