Packing up a lot of your life and moving them from one place to another always creates stress, whether it’s from one state to another or just around the corner. The task of moving companies is to make the work easier for it’s clients, which is much harder for a person in a wheelchair.
There are more and more facilities for those with reduced mobility that can lead a more comfortable life and adapted to their needs, even in the middle of a move.
In the same way, there are certain points that people with motor disabilities should take into account if they plan to change residence, so that they can have a comfortable experience; but above all so that in their day to day life he can live as autonomous and safe as possible.
Tips for before moving
Remember that the whole house must be prepared and suitable for you, so no aspect is too much or insignificant. In this case, the more, the merrier.
- Visit the facilities where you will be moving before arranging the move. Thoroughly inspect every corner of what could be your new house to check if it is a comfortable home that suits your needs.
- Pay special attention to the entrance to the building or house. It must have a ramp or stair guard with a slope, length, width and dimensions that are ideal for you to move comfortably.
- Corridors, doors, elevators (if any) must be wide and unobstructed. Also consider that the turning points must have a space greater than 1.20 meters.
- Check the height of plugs, so that it is easy to use them. Ideally they should be at a prudent height for you to reach them easily with your arms.
- Doors should have devices to open and close them whenever you need to.
- The windows should be located at, maximum a meter and a half from the ground so you can peek through them.
- The bathroom must have handles and/or support points to facilitate the use of the bathtub and toilet. Also, consider that instead of a bathtub there should be a shower tray and that the sink should have a proper height for you use.
- Anti-slip should be installed at different points of the house.
- Stopcocks, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers must be installed in the building, all suitable to a correct height, to reinforce the security measures.
Tips for the actual move
A removal company can arrange the boxes in such an order that it is easy to unpack and organize your new home. Before hiring a service, consult prices and options that suit your needs.
For people in wheelchairs it is recommended a service that includes packaging, preparation and moving; but it is also possible to hire the unpacking of your belongings. This way, you don’t have to worry about lifting heavy boxes that could affect your spine or endanger your safety.
This type of service is ideal for clients who live alone or have small children. But if, instead, you want to take care of your belongings, ask someone you trust to help you pack your belongings in boxes and move them as needed.
To take your belongings to the new home you will need to hire the service that the moving company recommends. At niceguymoversorlando.com we have also adapted, to make the moving experience easier and more practical.